Megalithic Mumblings

occasional random thoughts, diary entries and anything else I deem worthy of inclusion, such as accounts of my erstwhile forays amongst the ancient sites of Britain. Several of the posts here first appeared on the Modern Antiquarian or Heritage Action web sites.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Hey, no-one's perfect!...

Thursday, July 03, 2003

An enforced break...

We both slept fitfully last night, and I woke up with severe neck and shoulder pain (hopefully, just from sleeping in a strange bed). I hadn't planned today in any detail, and Mikki suggested staying in to rest, although she wanted to go to Clonakilty market. I felt that wouldn't be too bad, so off we went, stopping for a breakfast before hitting the (small) market.

Small it may have been, but I ran out of cash, and tried three different ATMs, none of which would cough up the dough. I asked in two different banks, and neither could give me cash on the strength of my Switch card and passport, but one did suggest a bank in Bandon may be able to help. So off we set. Having reached Bandon and refreshed my wallet, I suggested lunch in Macroom. We passed through Castlelanaght, so stopped and looked at both the standing stone and the row. Our only stones today.

A wonderful row. I'm not sure if it wasn't even more wonderful in the past, as there is a recumbent stone in the row (covered with odd scratches which may just be plough scars) and a low stone at the high end which potentially could have been a fifth, taller stone in the row at some point.

Pete McCarthy, in his book 'McCarthy's Bar', describes Macroom as the arse end of nowhere. I think he may have been right, but an information board in the town shows many of the archaeological sites in the area. We were both far too tired to hunt any more stones though, and made an early return home. Here's hoping we get some sleep tonight! Tomorrow is Skibbereen and the Sheep's Head Peninsular.