Megalithic Mumblings

occasional random thoughts, diary entries and anything else I deem worthy of inclusion, such as accounts of my erstwhile forays amongst the ancient sites of Britain. Several of the posts here first appeared on the Modern Antiquarian or Heritage Action web sites.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Hey, no-one's perfect!...

Monday, June 30, 2003

Some successes, and some failures

Torrential rain during the night meant that it wasn't really the right conditions to go tromping across fields, so I picked a few circles that could, in theory, be seen easily from the car. First up was Carrigagrenane. The NE stones apparently aren't that spectacular, and difficult to get to so I plumped for the SE circle for the start of the day.

Another plan shot down at the first hurdle. Despite being on the spot on the map, we couldn't see the stones from the car, so we moved on to the next junction and Maulatanvally. We did spot these, but a couple of fields away from the car, with a stream and hedgerow in the intervening space.

Likewise the next stones at Lettergorman (South). No easy way to get to the stones without getting (at least) ankle deep in mud (on arriving back home later, I re-read Fourwinds' notes on this site. Apparently there's a gate which makes crossing the stream unnecessary. Maybe later in the week).

I had slightly better luck at Lettergorman (North). Parking by a gate and walking up the rise of the hill, I spotted the stones just on the crest. However, just as I broke the crest of the hill I also spotted a few cows in the far corner of the field. I quickly took some snaps from afar of the circle and outlier, before the cows noticed and started to saunter over. After yesterday's events, I have no problem in admitting that I turned tail and ran back to the safety of the car. So, 9:30 in the morning, most of the day's targets already spotted, but no contact with the stones themselves as yet.

Our original plan was to take a slow drive up to Dunmanway, make our way across to Skibbereen for lunch before heading back home again. We actually encountered some reasonable roads today, so decided to pop up to Bantry for lunch instead. Mikki did her usual faultless navigation routine, and spotted a stone circle at Inchybegga, so we turned off onto a small track at Dromore once again to find the stones. Outside Dromore School is a fine standing stone, 6-7 feet tall, but leaning at quite an angle. Carrying on up the lane to Inchybegga, this time I had to ask some locals, who directed us to a house a little further down the lane to ask for directions. They even phoned ahead so the woman was waiting for us as we came around the bend! Her partner not only pointed out the way to the Inchybegga circle, but suggested that I leave seeing the Cullomane stones as they "aren't that great. Baurgorm is better".

Parking in the farmyard, follow the track through the farm, which eventually snakes up the hill (it's marked on the OSI map). The stones are beyond the second gate on the track. I found it difficult to make out the form of the circle, which doesn't seem to follow the Irish RSC pattern. I may just not have seen it, as all the stones are quite low, only about a foot or so high. A nice setting though, even if the stones aren't that great. The map also shows a Standing Stone and Burial Ground close by, but I didn't spot them.

Sadly, I took the landowner at his word and avoided Cullomane, to make my way up to Baurgorm, just off the back road to Bantry. A long walk up a steep lane, then a leap over barbed wire put me into the kind of landscape I'd envisioned in Ireland: boggy ground all around, interspersed with huge stones. I wandered around for a bit, taking care where I trod and not getting too wet, but I couldn't find the circle. I should have tried for Cullomane…

So we set into Bantry for a very nice lunch indeed, at O'Connors fish restaurant on the main square. Well recommended!

Stonechasing done for the day, we just relaxed and took a slow drive back along the N71 through Skibbareen (where Mikki enjoyed an ice cream), stopping to take in the scenery at Glandore before popping into the tourist tat office at Drombeg for some postcards and information leaflets. They've got a nice scale model of the circle complex in there, which made the slight diversion worthwhile.

Back at the cottage, the weather had cleared and I managed to get a clear view of the Reanascreena circle from the upstairs window, only a mile as the crow flies.

Only four days left before we have to head for home again! So much to see and do…