Megalithic Mumblings

occasional random thoughts, diary entries and anything else I deem worthy of inclusion, such as accounts of my erstwhile forays amongst the ancient sites of Britain. Several of the posts here first appeared on the Modern Antiquarian or Heritage Action web sites.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Hey, no-one's perfect!...

Monday, January 02, 2006

Quick Essex circuit

No route card today, just a quick skoot around Essex before getting back into London for dinner. There was a plan though: to search out a couple of puddingstones, and the "oldest wooden Church in the world, and the oldest standing wooden building in Europe". Oh, and I wanted to give my new camera a run-out.

Heading up the A10, we turned of onto the A120 toward Bishops Stortford before heading north to Manuden, where unfortunately I'd left my notes at home, so only spotted the single stone outside the Yew Tree pub. This will require a return visit in the future.

We headed south back through Bishops Stortford, then east through Hatfield Heath before turning south again. The next destination was Fyfield (to search out the other stone mentioned in the article linked above). Unfortunately I was unable to find any puddingstone, but there was what looked like a small buried sarsen near the north-east corner of the church. Near the church is a very pretty bridge over the River Roding, giving a delightful view to the south.

We next continued south and continued through Chipping Ongar, turning off for Greensted and the log church. Luckily the church was open for viewing, and I bought the informative guide book available. A crusader's grave lies just outside the entrance.

Having hit the three main targets, it was time to head into central London (via Abridge, Woodford and Tottenham) for dinner, so a short run, but interesting as I also managed to collect a few shots of village signs for my collection.